January 18, 2014
Categories: ESA, ExoMars, Proton, Russia, Science, Space

RIA Novosti – The European Space Agency is interested in further joint space-probe missions with Russia to the moon, Mars and Jupiter, its head said Friday.

ESA general director Jean-Jacques Dordain told reporters that further cooperation could follow last year’s agreement to jointly develop the ExoMars mission to search for signs of life on the Red Planet.

That mission plans to send three probes to Mars – an orbiter, a stationary lander and a rover – in two launches of the Russian heavy-lift Proton-M rocket scheduled for 2016 and 2018.

NASA withdrew from the project following budget cuts in 2012, opening the door for Russian participation.

Dordain noted that the ESA shared Russia’s interest in a cooperative mission to Jupiter and its moon Ganymede.

Earlier it was reported that Russia was mulling participation in the ESA mission JUICE, which stands for “JUpiter ICy moon Explorer.”

The mission is slated to explore Jupiter and three of its largest moons – Ganymede, Callisto and Europa – and is expected to reach the solar system’s largest planet around 2030.

Currently under development, the mission would be Europe’s first to the outer solar system apart from the Huygens probe, which piggybacked on the American Cassini spacecraft to reach Saturn’s moon Titan in 2005.

On Friday Rene Pishel, the head liaison of the ESA in Russia, told journalists that four Russian Soyuz-ST rockets would be launched this year from the ESA’s Kourou space center in French Guiana, including the launch of the ESA’s Sentinel-1 satellite to monitor small movements in Earth’s continents and oceans.

More from this category:
February 18, 2015

On February 17, 2015, rocket and space industry specialists successfully launched Progress M-26M cargo vehicle that delivered the ISS  propellant, oxygen, foodstuff, scientific equipment and…

full story
August 26, 2013

RIA Novosti – A converted Russian intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) put South Korea’s Kompsat-5 satellite into orbit on Thursday under the Dnepr satellite-launch program, a…

full story
March 11, 2020

Khrunichev Space Center (part of Roscosmos) postponed the launch of the “Proton-M” launch vehicle, which was scheduled to take place in March. A technical problem…

full story
September 3, 2018

September 2, 2018 marks the 110th birthday of academician Valentin  Glushko, a Soviet engineer, scientist, one of the pioneers of rocket and space technology, the…

full story
June 23, 2015

Japanese businessman Satoshi Takamatsu who has been passing preflight trainings in Star City is not going to fly to the ISS in September instead Sarah…

full story
April 28, 2014

Proton-M booster with Kazakh KazSat-3 communication satellite and Russian Luch satellite was successfully launched from Baikonur spaceport on Monday, – Roscosmos representative reported. The booster…

full story
May 19, 2014

On May 17 ISS-40/41 main and back-up crews took part in traditional events at Baikonur spaceport. The day started with traditional flag-raising ceremony symbolizing formal…

full story
January 21, 2015

In the framework of preparations for 70th Anniversary of the Great Victory Celebration Roscosmos plans to  send an exact copy of the victory Banner to the…

full story