Proton_pad
August 8, 2013
Categories: Glonass, Proton, Roscosmos, Russia

Launches of Russia’s Proton rockets will restart in September, ending a suspension imposed after an accident last month, the head of Russia’s Federal Space Agency said Monday.

As many as five Proton launches could take place before 2014, Vladimir Popovkin, head of the Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) told reporters. “One launch every three weeks means that before the end of the year we will try and carry out between four and five Proton launches,” he said.

The launch suspension was ordered last month after a Proton-M rocket carrying three satellites for the Glonass positioning system, Russia’s answer to GPS, crashed in a ball of flames, seconds after blasting off from Russia’s Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan. The July 2 accident was the latest in a series of setbacks for Russia’s space program, and has prompted heavy criticism of the space industry by officials.

The reason for the accident was that three sensors in the rocket had been installed upside down, a commission appointed to investigate the incident said Monday.

Blame should be attributed to the designers of the sensors, who did not anticipate that they could be installed incorrectly, and not to the specialists who installed them, Popovkin said. Three specialists who installed the sensors for the launch last month are cooperating with investigators, he added.

“They [the three specialists] do not admit their guilt: They say that they did everything according to the technical requirements. But the commission looking into the accident has definitely ascertained that the sensors were installed incorrectly,” said Roscosmos deputy head Alexander Lopatin. Existing Proton-M rockets have been checked for the same fault, but no other instances were found, Lopatin added.

Proton-M rockets have suffered a string of technical problems and launch failures in recent years. Three Glonass satellites were lost in December 2010 when a Proton-M rocket crashed into the Pacific Ocean, an incident that was subsequently blamed on engineers overloading the rocket with fuel. A control system glitch led to the loss of a Proton-M in 2011, and engine problems caused the failure of another Proton mission in 2012.

More from this category:
3161812618
February 5, 2016

One more ISS crew successfully completed training on survival in marshy and forested area. For three days Roscosmos cosmonaut Sergey Ryazansky, NASA astronaut Randolph Bresnik…

full story
Lonchakov
April 1, 2014

Roscosmos Head Councellor, Hero of Russian Federation, cosmonaut Yuri Lonchakov was officially appointed to the position of GCTC acting head, – Roscosmos press-office secretary Irina…

full story
Go-AzIgyr8k
November 24, 2014

On Monday Proton-M booster with Astra 2G space device was installed  on the launching pad of Baikonur spaceport, – Khrunichev Centre representative Alexander Shmygov reported….

full story
uqWp-5dCL6c
December 3, 2014

At Baikonur spaceport specialists go on preparing Proton-M booster with Briz-M upper stage and Russian Yamal-401 telecommunication satellite for the launch from Baikonur. On December…

full story
Progress-M-19M
April 22, 2013

According to press-service of RSC Energia, at Baikonur launch site the preparations continue for the launch of Progress M-19M cargo vehicle under the International Space…

full story
qtdeQhyHO5w
August 20, 2014

According to the working schedule of Guiana Space Centre today is the last preparation day before the launch of Soyuz-ST-B booster with Fregat-MT upper stage…

full story
12698640-1703451846576162-8419081580705638100-o
November 30, 2018

The “Rokot” space rocket with the “Breeze-KM” upper stage, launched on November 30 from the Plesetsk cosmodrome in the Arkhangelsk region, successfully delivered a spacecraft…

full story
1553198622
December 12, 2014

Baikonur specialists go on preparing Proton-M booster with Briz-M upper stage and Yamal-401 space device for the launch. On December 11 in accordance with the…

full story