May 14, 2015

Sarah Brightman’s refusal to go the International Space Station in September 2015 won’t affect the dates of the launch, – spokesman for space industry reported on May 13, 2015.

“That won’t affect Soyuz launch. It was planned for September 1 and it is still being planned for September 1”, – the spokesman stated.

In his turn GCTC head didn’t comment on Sarah Brightman’s refusal to take part in the flight. According to him GCTC hasn’t received official cancellation.

The spokesman reported earlier that due to Sarah’s refusal Soyuz TMA-18M planned to be launched on September 1, 2015, may fly to the ISS with 2 crew members onboard.  “Sarah Brightman’s seat onboard may be vacant since it is a very difficult task to find a person and prepare him or her for the flight in 3 months left for the flight. As a result there is a possibility of Soyuz launch with only two crew members onboard, – the spokesman said.

According to him Brightman’s back-up crew member Japanese entrepreneur Satoshi Takamatsu paid for the trainings only and it is uncertain whether he is going to pay for the flight itself.

The spokesman left open the possibility of one of new Russian cosmonauts going to the ISS instead Brightman. But anyway short-duration flight is hardly to be changed into half-a-year mission, – he noted.

Spokesman specified that Brightman’s decision to cancel the flight was caused by the fact that she couldn’t raise enough money through charity funds.

More from this category:
August 19, 2013

Russian Mission Control Centre specialists plan another station reboost maneuver to increase ISS orbit medium altitude for August 31, 2013, – MCC representative reported to…

full story
January 15, 2019

On January 16, 1969 cosmonauts Boris Volynov (call name “Baikal-1”) and Vladimir Shatalov (call name “Amur-1”) docked two spacecrafts “Soyuz-5” and “Soyuz-4”. Two cosmonauts, Yevgeny…

full story
April 9, 2019

9 launches of “Soyuz” rockets with OneWeb space satellites will be performed from the Baikonur cosmodrome, 8 launches – from the Vostochny cosmodrome. Previously it…

full story
November 25, 2015

New ISS mission back-up crew commander Russian cosmonaut Anatoly Ivanishin says he feels very responsible since his crew will be the first one to go…

full story
February 20, 2020

The Russian members of the main crew of the “Soyuz MS-16” manned spacecraft, Roscosmos cosmonauts Nikolay Tikhonov and Andrey Babkin, will be replaced by backups…

full story
June 23, 2015

Japanese businessman Satoshi Takamatsu who has been passing preflight trainings in Star City is not going to fly to the ISS in September instead Sarah…

full story
September 10, 2019

On the morning of September 10, 2019, at the GCTC was a farewell ceremony of the main and backup crews of the International Space Station…

full story
December 24, 2019

Dear our Readers! On behalf of RussianSpaceNews.com let us wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! From all our team we wish…

full story