On August 18, 2014 according to the ISS flight schedule ISS-40/41 mission crew members Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev will perform the spacewalk.
Pirs docking compartment hatch opening is planned for 18.00, Moscow time.
During the spacewalk the cosmonauts are to accomplish the following tasks:
- To launch NS-1 nanosatellite designed for testing and practicing basic platform and main electronic modules of nano space devices in accordance with Radioskaf space educational program (JSC Energia rocket and space corporation)
This satellite is 100×100×100 mm in size, weights 1,5 kg and transits the data on frequency of 437.025 MHz.
The satellite provides transmission of the messages to the Earth in the form of telegraph signal, transmission of photos stored in the satellite’s memory, shots from the satellite’s camera upon the request from the Earth and telemetry data (voltage, temperature of all satellite’s blocks etc.)
- to install scientific equipment for Expose-R experiment on the 2nd plane of Zvezda service module
- to install the clamp for additional fixing of mechanical adapter lock of active phased array remote unit between the 2nd and the 3rd planes of Zvezda service module circular handrail.
Phased array remote unit was installed during the spacewalk performed on June 19, 2014, to provide the ISS communication with the Earth by the means of Luch relay satellites system.
In the framework of Test space experiment with the help of special scientific equipment Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev will take samples on the surface of #13 ISS illuminator.
- to install pressure and precipitation control unit on Poisk miniature research module
- to demount №1-M2 removable container cassette and install №2-M2 removable container cassette on miniature research module.
- to demount 2a panel of Endurance space experiment
- to demount the 3rd Biorisk-MSN container from Pirs docking compartment
- to make shots of muly-layer isolation of ISS Russian segment outer surface
ISS-40/41 mission flight engineers Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev will spend in the outer space about 6 hours and 16 minutes. It is the second spacewalk the cosmonauts perform during their mission. The rest of the ISS crew (Roscosmos cosmonaut Maksim Surayev, NASA astronauts Steven Swanson and Reid Wiseman and ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst) will support them from the inside of the station.