Soyuz_rollout
January 10, 2014

RIA Novosti – Kazakhstan wants a permanent Russian presence at the Baikonur space center, the head of its space program said on Thursday, after years of argument between Moscow and Astana over Russia’s use of the site.

“Neither I nor any sane person in Kazakhstan wants Russia to leave Baikonur. We are partners and allies and at this level of international cooperation it’s normal to have joint strategic projects,” Talgat Musabaev said in an interview published Thursday by the Izvestia newspaper.

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced last month that the leaders of the two countries had signed a three-year roadmap on the cooperative use of Baikonur.

Musabaev, a former cosmonaut, said if Russia was to leave Baikonur, Kazakhstan would “do everything possible to ensure Baikonur remains a gateway to space.”

He claimed Russian resistance to launches of Ukrainian-made Dnepr and Zenit rockets from Baikonur by Kazakhstan and its partners had relaxed following the appointment of Oleg Ostapenko as head of the Russian space agency Roscomos in October.

The newly-signed roadmap with Russia will hand ownership of the new Baiterek launch pad for the Zenit rocket to Kazakhstan, and requires recommendations be made to reduce the ecological impact of Russian heavy-lift Proton rocket launches beginning in 2016, he added.

Proton launches were suspended for three months following the explosion of one of the rockets shortly after liftoff in July that rained blazing, highly toxic propellants on the Kazakh countryside.

Russia is currently building the Vostochny space center in the Far Eastern Amur region, expected to open in 2018, to reduce its dependence on the Baikonur facility, which it leases from Kazakhstan for $115 million annually.

More from this category:
Launch-932x1024
June 26, 2013

Russian Soyuz ST-V booster launched from European Kourou cosmodrome in French Guiana set O3b Networks satellites providing inexpensive internet access into the orbit. The process…

full story
Proton_nice
November 29, 2013

Russia has no space launches planned for January 2014, but three planned for February. All these launches will take place from Baikonur spaceport, – the…

full story
parting-ceremony
September 13, 2013

Today GCTC saw formal parting ceremony of ISS 37/38 main( Oleg Kotov, Sergey Ryazansky, Michael Hopkins) and back-up (Alexander Skvortsov, Oleg Artemyev, Stephen Swanson) who…

full story
UibxqqEtBp8
May 6, 2015

According to Roscosmos specialists’ calculations Progress M-27M cargo vehicle launched on April 28, 2015 will  re-enter the atmosphere in the time period from 01:23 to…

full story
crO7ISAL1U8
October 29, 2014

Today at 10.09, Moscow time, Russian space industry launching crews successfully launched Soyuz 2.1a booster with Progress M-25M cargo vehicle #31 launchpad of Baikonur spaceport….

full story
oByK4YwCzJM
July 8, 2015

On July 8, 2015, in GCTC Interdepartmental Commission approved next ISS crew to go to the station onboard Soyuz TMA-17M spacecraft. The main crew comprises…

full story
Progress-M-22M_254
December 10, 2013

Progress M-22M cargo vehicle tests are under way at Baikonur spaceport. The vehicle is to be launched to the ISS early February 2014. Progress has…

full story
3498594844
May 7, 2015

On May 6, 2015 of 44/45 mission main and back-up crew started passing complex examinational trainings in GCTC. The back-up crew comprising Yuri Malenchenko (Roscosmos),…

full story