September 30, 2013

RIA Novosti – A Proton-M carrier rocket with a European telecoms satellite lifted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan on Monday, for the first time since the launch failure in July, the Russian space agency said.

The suspension of Proton launches was ordered in July after a Proton-M rocket carrying three satellites for the Glonass positioning system, Russia’s answer to the GPS, crashed in a ball of flames, seconds after blasting off. The reason for the accident was that three sensors in the rocket had been installed upside down, an investigation revealed.

Monday’s launch of the Proton-M carrying the Astra 2E telecoms satellite was initially scheduled to take place on September 12, but was postponed indefinitely due to a glitch in its first stage.

“The Proton blastoff took place in a standard regime and as scheduled – at 1:38 Moscow time. The separation of the spacecraft from the Briz-M booster is expected to take place at 10:50 Moscow time [6:50 a.m. GMT],” a spokesman for the Russian space agency Roscosmos said.

The July incident was the latest in a series of setbacks for Russia’s space program, which has been blighted by the loss of rockets and satellites, as well as a large corruption scandal around the Glonass program.

Image credit – © RIA Novosti

More from this category:
June 10, 2014

On June 9, 21.23, Moscow time, Progress M-21M cargo space vehicle debris sank in non-navigational region of the Southern part of the Pacific Ocean. At…

full story
October 21, 2013

The launch of a Russian Proton-M rocket carrying a US telecoms satellite has been postponed for a second time on the satellite operator’s request, the…

full story
March 30, 2020

At Baikonur Cosmodrome the preparation of the “Progress MS-14” cargo ship for launch under the International Space Station program continues. On Friday, March 27, 2020,…

full story
September 18, 2014

On September 17 Baikonur saw traditional “mass media day”. The journalists got the opportunity to see one day in the cosmonauts’ life at Baikonur spaceport…

full story
March 4, 2014

Russian space industry specialists go on with preparations for the launch of Proton-M booster with Briz-M upper stage and cluster comprising two Russian telecommunication satellites…

full story
April 17, 2014

Flight tests of Express-AT1 and Express-AT2 satellites launched on March 16, 2014 were successfully completed, – JSC Reshetnev Information Satellite Systems representative reported. “Orbited Express-AT1…

full story
August 20, 2019

At the Baikonur cosmodrome tests of the radio systems of the “Soyuz MS-15” spacecraft were successfully completed. They were performed in an anechoic chamber of…

full story
November 20, 2019

At the Baikonur Cosmodrome preparations are continuing for the launch of the “Progress MS-13” cargo spacecraft under the International Space Station program. On November 19,…

full story