December 29, 2013

RIA-Novosti: A new Soyuz rocket blasted off from the Plesetsk space center in northern Russia on Saturday after numerous delays earlier this week, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

The ministry said the launch took place at 16:30 Moscow time (12:30 GMT).
The rocket put into designated orbit a small research satellite built by students and young scientists.

The new rocket, dubbed the Soyuz-2.1v, is to feature a completely reworked first stage powered by a NK-33 (14D15) rocket engine built by the NK Engines Company in the Russian city of Samara. The rocket lacks the characteristic four boosters that Soyuz and its ancestors have had since the R-7 missile that launched Sputnik in 1957.

The launch was originally scheduled for Monday and was delayed first until Tuesday and then until Wednesday due to concern over a possible malfunction of one of the rocket’s engines.

A Russian defense official, Colonel Dmitry Zenin, said later on Wednesday the launch was postponed again and will take place sometime next year.

A state commission that gathered on Saturday morning, decided to launch the rocket at 14:00, but it was also cancelled minutes before the planned blastoff.

The Soyuz, the most frequently launched rocket in the world, has undergone more than 1,700 launches since its debut in 1966. It is one of only two rockets worldwide that are capable of sending astronauts into orbit, the other being the Chinese Long March 2F.

Image credit – TsSKB-Progress

More from this category:
December 29, 2021

On Monday, December 27, 2021, at 13:10:37 UTC a Soyuz-2.1b rocket with a Fregat upper stage and 36 OneWeb satellites launched from Launchpad 6 of…

full story
March 16, 2014

The day of March 15 started with flag-raising ceremony that has become a longstanding tradition symbolizing formal beginning of final stage of preflight preparation trainings….

full story
November 19, 2021

The Progress M-UM cargo spacecraft-module carrying the Prichal Node Module has been sent to final assembly with the launch vehicle at the Baikonur Cosmodrome Today…

full story
June 30, 2015

Progress M-28M cargo vehicle to be launched to the ISS on July 3 was sent for general assembling, – Roscosmos reports. The vehicle is to…

full story
April 8, 2014

Roscosmos doesn’t elaborate any measures to give a response to NASA, – Roscosmos Head Deputy Denis Lykov stated. We do not see any ground for…

full story
December 12, 2018

The spacewalk according to the Russian program was successfully completed by the cosmonauts of Roscosmos Oleg Kononenko and Sergey Prokopiev. The main task of VKD-45A…

full story
April 14, 2015

The first launch of Angara-A5V heavy booster will take place in 2021, – Roscosmos Head Igor Komarov stated. “The first launch is scheduled for 2021,…

full story
July 30, 2019

On July 29, 2019, the “Progress MS-11” cargo spaceship undocked from the Russian segment of the International Space Station (ISS). The on-board computer gave the…

full story